Realities of Fairy tales - Euro Trip 13

My parents are celebrating 32 wedding day today and I dedicate this post to them. My mom recently got her own phone, which she happily keeps at home when she goes out. But she has learned to read SMS (yet to learn replying) and was quite excited to read Diwali wishes from her dentist. So I just sent her a SMS this morning. Dad loves to watch old movies and listen to religious discourses. Which I am planning to get once I go back to India. Their big celebrations usually involve going to temple, meeting my grandma and a modest meals at a nearby restaurant.

Altenberg Hotel near the cathedral
I usually like the mid part of the these days, in which I freak out for not having enough details ready to write the travelogue. Preparing for it meant going through the photos choosing the ones to post and checking the pamphlets or tickets I saved during the trip for details about the place. If I remember something the guide had said, then I would double check (thanks to Google) before posting it. I work best when deadline is near.

View from resturant
On Saturday morning we had a hefty breakfast in the Koln hotel’s restaurant soaking in the view of railway station and Dom. Then we took a half a day city tour on a “open-top-double -decked” bus around the city. The cold wind against my face was fun, only for half hour. Then my ears pained, nose watered and fingers went numb. The tour wasn't that significant to say, but there were few places (which we choose to visit later) worth mentioning. I would write them in the next and the last post of the travelogue. (Gils note)

Later, we had a quick lunch at the mc Donald’s and started to Altenberg, a small city few kilometres away from Koln. It was only 5 of us in the bus including the driver. The bus was similar to the one we took before. But we were happy to sit in the upper deck as the driver set the automatic sheets to cover the roof.

On the way to the cathedral
After about half an hour we alighted at Altenberg Cathedral. Its tower from medieval times peeked from lush greenery as if to welcome us. While we walked we saw a bride and groom posing for photo shoot in front porch of the cathedral. We could hear the beautiful choir from the cathedral, even at the distance. I don't know whether it’s just me or the place that felt quite romantic.

Newton’s 4th law should be: when you like a place and want to take numerous shots, the battery dies out. And 5th law should be: The only shop available there won’t sell use and throw cameras. R cleverly handled to take few shots which were satisfactory.

Altenberge Cathedral
The cathedral is the church of the former Cistercian abbey of Altenberg from 11th century. It had richly decorated interior and beautiful field around it. The surrounding had nothing much except couple of restaurant, souvenir shop and a hotel by the parking lot.

It was lovely to sit here listening to the musicians by the alter
It used to be the resting place for pilgrims on their way to the distant Santiago de Compostela. I was reading Paulo Coelho’s The Pilgrimage then, which talks about this sacred route. And out of umpteen tours of Koln we choose this! It’s like God wanted me to be there! After all nothing happens at random.

Then we walked to the magical forest from Grimm’s tales. That's right, sleeping beauty and cinderella stories happened in Germany. And you don't need a bunny hole or cyclone to transfer you there.

The river of magical forest
We had to cross a bridge over a small river to get to the foot of the hill. The small hill was covered in dense forest and it felt very quite.

You dont need pumpkin chariot to get there a tour bus would do, pic courtsy internet
There is a family attraction called “Altenberger Märchenwald” (Altenberg Fairytale Land) on top of the hill that features some of Grimm’s tales.

There are small houses each with dressed characters, robotic actions and a background voice telling us the story. Some of the exhibits were poorly maintained, like the Frog and Princes pond. It was so dirty that even the goose did not enter. These days we don't need poisoned apple to faint someone, just polluting would do.

The reality of fairyland is nothing but a forest with its own pros and cons, much like fairytale endings to bland realities.There is no fairy god mother with portions to make your husband charming or your wife, princes. Real life is like that of my parents, who fight a lot but always makes up. Their love isn’t like roses that are pretty only for a while. It’s strong like roots of banyan tree, not obvious but deeply rooted with care and understanding for each other. That's way better than any of the fairy tales of magical forest.

Comments

gils said…
bustttttt
gils said…
athivasi madam :D unga vadaiya intha thabaa naan sututen..ta.na.na.naanaa :) (asme kuch kuch hotha hai)
gils said…
//I would write them in the next and the last post of the travelogue. (Gils note)/

adhuuu..
gils said…
watson's laws nalal irunthichi :)
gils said…
// I don't know whether it’s just me or the place that felt quite romantic.//

usssss...ebba...unakulla irukara baarathiraajaku konjam restu kudu raasa
Swaram said…
Seconddddd!!!!
gils said…
// Isn’t that way better than any of the fairy tales of magical forest?//

fairytales are for kids..the moral is meant for adults..so decide who u want to be before looking at it :)

and hearty wishes to maama and maami :)
Swaram said…
But hw did Gils come first :( Fixing :(
SaRa said…
Gils is a cheater!Gils is a cheater!:P
SaRa said…
Will come back to read post!
@ Srivats
It such an enchanting expressive journey...

I liked you blog very much and have joined it to be frequently updated with your beautiful expressions.

Nevertheless, I have already gone through some of you old posts which are also so engaging.


Keep the spark alive..
i am not even going to show samhith this post..... if he hears the part about the fairy tales being recreated, he wont stop pestering me to take him to europe! post seeing your miniature pics, he hasnt stopped telling his dad that he wants to go to europe next!!!!!!!

seriously, your last para is so true!!!!
i loved the forest pic, and the cathedral pic.. this is getting better and better..
Swaram said…
First things first :) A very happy anniversary to Aunty and Uncle :) Cheers to many more :)
bittersweet said…
"The reality of fairyland is nothing but a forest with its own pros and cons, much like fairytale endings to bland realities."

Very nice analogy Sri! There are things that bluntly stare at us, and it's only when we ponder do we realize it's real essence.
Swaram said…
/* Long Comment Alert :D */

I work best when deadline is near. - 'Yuddha kaale shastrabhyasa' works best for me from school days ;) No second thoughts ha ha :P

The pic on the way to the cathedral is superb .. the lush green surroundings, the fallen leaves .... err ok I c my friend standing there too ;)

Damn Murphy! He always does that na .. My Mgr welcomes me @ the gate whenever I get late to office :D :D :D

The Altenberge Cathedral pic is straight out of fairy tales! Loved the mushy mushy description :) Really really romantic ;) I wanna drag the husband there and sing a duet nw he he he :P

It was lovely to sit here listening to the musicians by the alter I so cn feel that from the pic! A beautiful place indeed!

It’s like God wanted me to be there! After all nothing happens at random. If only we could always keep this in mind :) Brilliant Sri :)

It’s strong like roots of banyan tree, not obvious but deeply rooted with care and understanding for each other. That's way better than any of the fairy tales of magical forest. Love ur choice of words :)

Reminds me of that quote Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day. A very very happy anniversary once again to ur parents :)
Anonymous said…
Many congrats to your parents!! That was a legendary travel-32 years!!

//It was only 5 of us in the bus including the driver.//--any girls? :P

Red flowers never fail to steal heart!! So cute,the pic is!!

The tall insides of the cathedral-ah,breathtaking!!

oooh,the river-it reminds me of kallaru, a place near CBE.

//Their love isn’t like roses that are pretty only for a while. It’s strong like roots of banyan tree, not obvious but deeply rooted with care and understanding for each other. That's way better than any of the fairy tales of magical forest.//
What a way to say that?? Like the way you begin and end posts! You have a style,don't you?
Chan said…
Did you get a chance to visit The Ludwig's Castle in Munich ? That's an awesome castle coming from "Princess of the swan lake". With regards to the batteries drying out, Murphy always strikes mate!
Soin said…
nice place..yen ammavum ippo thaan cell use pana kathukuranga..comedy..@gils..ithu varikum yaravathu vadai kuduthurukangala??free
A very very happy anniversary to your parents. Here’s to many more years of listening to discourses and visiting temples together :-)
Euro trip is like a fairytale - am most Jealous :-)
sri said…
@gils
Paatti vadaiya kakka thukkittu pona maari erukkey, edhula yaar pattinnu naan sollaley :P
bharathi raja unakku seekram direct panni ilayaraja adhukku vasikka vendum endru saabam tharen ;)

@ Swaram
me and gils fixing no chance! haha cheater cheater compulsive eater
LOL

@Rachana
Welcome here :) and thanks for reading them, I am glad you liked them.

@ Anu
haha samhith would surely go there some day , believe me!

@ AJCL
enakkey bore ayuduchu :) next postla mudinjudhum , apaadannu erukku.

@Swaram
Thanks for the wishes, would surely pass on. Strange is that I was commenting in ur post while u were commenting here :P

//I wanna drag the husband there and sing a duet nw he he he :P
//

Wishes please do that soon, I am sure su would be more than happy :)

//My Mgr welcomes me @ the gate whenever I get late to office :D :D :D
//

Tell me about it! the manger syndrome is so common.

//Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day//

Thats a qote to remember by :) thanks for sharing . And I would defn pass on ur wishes :)
sri said…
@ Savi

Thanks would pass on the wishes, yes those flowers looked lovely in real. There was a girl but she had a date ;) plus why I need one when I already have my love ;)
I have no idea about the style but I hope people like it :P

@Chan
Nope did not have time mate :( but there is always a next time :)

@Soin
Apdiya vishvak, ammakkal phone use panradhu comedy thaan :) yet so cute.

@ Ruch
Thanks much, would show her all these wishes. She would be quite excited. I wish you a europe trip soon :)
ms firefly said…
congratulations to your parents for their wedding anniversary!

and wow, i would love to see Grimm's inspiration for the fairy tales!
A bouquet with 32 flowers for your parents Sri!
/Preparing for it meant going through the photos choosing the ones to post and checking the pamphlets or tickets I saved during the trip for details about the place. If I remember something the guide had said, then I would double check (thanks to Google) before posting it. /
The efforts you put in to write a post shows that you are a perfect writer Sri!
R-ambam said…
//Their love isn’t like roses that are pretty only for a while. It’s strong like roots of banyan tree, not obvious but deeply rooted with care and understanding for each other. That's way better than any of the fairy tales of magical forest//

Lovely framing there ..!
I just read ur first post .. u r still the same only ur writings have a style ever since u began.
I very much like it :)))
R-ambam said…
// Newton’s 4th law should be: when you like a place and want to take numerous shots, the battery dies out.//

//After all nothing happens at random.//


:D agreed !
R-ambam said…
//Preparing for it meant going through the photos choosing the ones to post and checking the pamphlets or tickets I saved during the trip for details about the place. If I remember something the guide had said, then I would double check (thanks to Google) before posting it.//

Wonder wat stops u from getting an honest blogger award ...
actually m not so used to these stuff..otherwise , I ll first one to award u the honest blogger :)))
For now, thats a complement .
R-ambam said…
Wish ur parents , many more happy returns of the day !
FunScribbler said…
hey my wishes to ur parents! :) gr8 post as well with cool pics!
Unknown said…
Loved the pictures and narration as usual. And totally loved how you linked your parents real life fairy-tale like story with Grimm's.
//There is no fairy god mother with portions// - So true. Many times we make the mistake of looking for quick and easy solutions in relationships rather than nurturing the banyan tree.
Aarti said…
Woohoo, Happy Anniversary to ur folks!!! :)

My mom does the same, has a phone but its either at home or lost deep inside her small purse and finally i had to show it to her and say we call, we text, u read, u answer..changed tune and now she says she knows it when it rings..hehehe..:)

I wanna go to that fairytale place... i do i dooooooooo.... :D

Sometimes the place makes the whole thing romantic.. i felt it last nite at the river cruise.. was just me but it was awesome feeling!! :)
Aarti said…
Completely agree with u on that google what the tour guide says point. i do that as well and yep, while putting up a post sit and sift thru the zillion pics, get lost in sweet memories, start reliving them and in the process post gets neglected.. am yet to get around to putting up Coorg and am already abt done with my next holiday... :D
RamNarayanS said…
Fairy tale post indeed!!! Beautiful photos (hope for the days when we, Indians respect our monuments and places of beauty without damaging it, I hate those name carvers and plastic garbagers. Hmmm).

Once upon a time, there lived a prince called Vats... :-) :-) You can tell your next generation a lot of stories.
Karthik Lollu said…
Third Picture la unge Background la yaaro kiss adichikitu irukaanga.. Correct ah?? Adha focus panni irukkalaame
Karthik Lollu said…
//Newton’s 4th law should be: when you like a place and want to take numerous shots, the battery dies out.//

Anne.. Venaam ne.. Enakku college la naanga use panna Newton law la nyabagam varudu.. :D CENSORED.. :P
sri said…
@ msFirefly
Thanks :) believe me it was just ok :P

@Aruna
Thanks much! Not sure whether I am perfect writer and all, but someday - Thats the hope Aruna

@Rambam
haha my first post is so funnyi still cannot believe I wrote that.
Honest blogger award wow thats so nnice to hear.Thanks a lot for your words. Ungalukku kedacha enakku kudnga enakku kedhacha ungalukkum tharen, epdi deal okva ?

@Tami Mango
Thanks madam :) hope your studies are going well
sri said…
@ Hey J

Very well said J, many at times this happens. The best is go deep into the understanding and care that united the relationship and everything would be alright

@Aarti
happy to see you back, How was the vaction, thanks so much for the words :) Its so funny to watch how our parents handle the techie gadgets:) How was the river cruise by the way ? write a post pleasee...

@Rammmm
Yes same with me, I too hate the ones who put plastic stuff around and vandalise :( they spoil it for everybody. Vats is a prince huh? WOW thanks! now I wish my love to read this hehe

@Karthik Lollu
Good to see you back mate,haha avanga friends couple ellai, two girls, unles.. errr.. hehe ... unga alavukku comedya ezudharadhu romba kashtam :)
Vidya said…
My brother got married in Germany and we went to Koln as well. So this post brought back memories! :D
Ramesh said…
Very nice photos. Even failed batteries cannot dampen your enthusiasm !

Very belated but happy anniversary to your parents.
sri said…
@ Vidya
great, so you could relate to them in different light :)

@ Ramesh
Thanks :)
Anuraag said…
congrats to ur mummy papa :)
\Newton’s 4th law should be: when you like a place and want to take numerous shots, the battery dies out. And 5th law should be: The only shop available there won’t sell use and throw cameras. R cleverly handled to take few shots which were satisfactory\\ hehe...this is already an implication of Murphy's law..visit
http://epiphany666.blogspot.com/2009/11/placement-probability.html
jehan said…
""Dad loves to watch old movies and listen to religious discourses.""

--reminded me so much of my dad.. he just watched them on tv, never went to church when i was older.. but my dad is a strong Christian believer...
jehan said…
oops forgot to add: he was a strong Christian believer but he loved watching, listening and reading about non-Christian religious affiliations.. it's healthy for the soul... I do too and I strongly believe we all believe in one God, we just call and revere Him differently ...
sri said…
@ Vishal

Thanks for the wishes and the link, Yes I read it :) that was a clear explanation for ppl like me :)

@ Jehan
your dad is very inspiring, ys its very good for the soul , makes me wanna meet him someday :) My dad hardly listens to anything other than Hinduism :) I dont blame him he grew up in such an environment.

Popular posts from this blog

An Elephant's pride

வாழ்கை அவ்வளவு சுலபம் இல்லை, ஆனா போராடணும்!

Goedemorgen Amsterdam - Euro Trip 4