Feathered shoes and Gloria in excelsis deo

U smile !  that's what you do when someone takes a photograph of you, unless there is a good reason behind it, perhaps a death ( although I wonder who would take a picture of in that moment) or if you have made a eternal pact, not to smile at the person behind the camera.

On the other side, why to smile while being photographed ? cant we own the weirdest-custom-made expression that we carry on our face ? I pondered on it, while my photo was taken last night in the Christmas mass at a church here. The photographer is a warden in her early 40 , dressed elegantly in black gown , lush red lipstick and a hair clip and shoes that had feathers in it .she must be from the high class. She seem to be interested to capture the patrons who turned up for the special mass. As she made her way back to her seat her heals drummed the floor, It was loud enough to be heard in the packed church.  Before I could reach a conclusion about smiling,  the choir started singing, Gloria in excelsis deo filled the room.

There is definitely something about the choir echoing in the church. At the wee hours of yesterday  the rain bathed the church  and the warmth of  hundreds of people gathered to welcome hope, happiness and peace  only added to the wholesome experience.  I was tired (from standing) and hungry by the time the pastor cleared his throat to deliver the message of The Holy Night.  To my surprise he didnot say anything arbitrary that a common non-christian wouldn't understand. He spoke of financial burdens, the loneliness created by the distance from your loved ones and being an outcast. In short All that I am.

As much as I tell everyone that I am a freethinker, I sometimes take the comfort in believing something. Like what the pastor said hours ago. The god choose to be born in a place like cattle shed , in association with Shepard, the lowest and outcast of that time. No air freshener, clean towels or medical care on cotton soft mattress,  for he lived like one of us, so people like me can identify with him. A kinship that taught there is always hope and joy no matter what the present looks like.

"Peace be to you" He said,  and people around me greeted each other "peace" with a christmasy smile . Without any hesitation I greeted them back with smiles of course.  A kid next to me felt comfortable enough to hug me :) I so wished the entire world were these people at church.  Where the feather shoes of chinese Christian and bata shoes of Indian hindu can smile and say peace to each other.

Then it hit me, We smile at pictures because we are thinking about all those who are going to see this photograph, now and ever. We are making a snapshot of our lives that might end up living , staring at people more than we do. That  it needs to portray , happiness , hope and conviction. A kinship to a happily ever after. Needless to say I smiled at all those who made eye contact at me, as I walked out of the church - I still do.



Comments

Ramesh said…
Sri - you are back and that too with a wonderful post. Is this really you Sri - very different from the Sri we know of the earlier times through your blog.

Wonderfully written post. I have a smile and a lump in the throat at the same time.

Very best wishes for the new year
I so echo Ramesh's comments on this post!!! its so nice to see u back here with such a post too!!!

Wishing you all the very best in the new year!!
jehan said…
Merry Christmas Sri!

I brought my baby to Church with me last Christmas eve but the elder women's procession and first family viewing took almost an hour already so by the middle of the Gloria song, she showed so much agitation that we had to leave..

I also 'amen" to Ramesh' comment. i couldn't agree more and i felt the same.

again, Merry Christmas and I wish you all the best wherever you are and in your endeavors this coming year (or years)...
Anonymous said…
Look who is back with such a wonderful post. Simply love it.
The way you have build up the post and ended up with the thing which you wanted to say.
I feel you are write most of the photographs are fake people always try to show their fake expressions (smile). Very rare you will find the true expressive picture of a person.

Keep blogging. Don't be outblogged again.
Just as everyone one points out..'Ahh look who is back..' Ohh! back with the bang back with the thoughts so provoking and back that brings churns of thoughts. Posts itself looks like a picture..I could follow it..understand it perhaps see it n feel it..recalling moments like 'say Cheese'...trust me it's always easy for me to do...but wonder why dint i ever wondered why I say cheese...:D
Perhaps now I knw :))
Thanks for showing a mirror through this post!

Hope to see u more often this coming New Year,2012!
Merry Christmas!!
Stay warm and happy!!
~Keep the Spark ALive..
Srikanth said…
Good one Srivats... may next year bring you all that you are missing right now... :)
sri said…
@ All
No wonder to explain how happy I am to see your comments here, after all this time, Its like a bank account thats not been used and one day u find out you still have enough money to carry on ur transactions :)

@Ramesh
Humbled :) Thanks so much looking forward for a best year ahead :)

@Anu
I am going to catch up with ur posts :) THanks so much wishing u the same :)

@Jehan
How I missed u my friend :) life does change when u have baby isnt :) but it would be lovely to take her out on the occausion, the fun in introducing new traditions to ur loved ones :) Thanks for ur wishes, wish u the same :)

@Vipul gupta
U made me write that guest post and after few comments i realise I still can write :) thanks man :)

@Rachna

Thanks so much for ur words, flattered :) hehe YEs I too wish u all that is good for u :P now and ever :)

@Srikanth

Thanks da :)
Anonymous said…
You can always write man. You are one of the finest writer I have ever seen. Whose views and way of writing is truly awesome!Why don't you write some good book ?

Popular posts from this blog

An Elephant's pride

Goedemorgen Amsterdam - Euro Trip 4

Remy's Recipe - Wheat n Sweet Pancake